Death stare II. I could not possibly be more excited about these Topshop pants..but after buying American Apparel’s lame leggings, Kate Moss’ wet look skinnies, and now these suckers, I think I’m going to cut myself off from the shiny stuff. I’m also going to start repenting for long neglecting these boots, which were one of the first pairs of expensive-ish boots that I bought as a blogger..previously I had pretty much kept to MJ too actually. I’ve only been turned astray due to a depressing lack of soaring heights and platforms in his recent collections. I promise I still love you Marc! Just give us the good stuff. I’ll have to see if the cross-strap wedges I used to be so obsessed with are at my parent’s house when Colin and I are in San Francisco in a few weeks. And I’m totally out of touch with everything Bay Area so if you have any New Year’s Eve suggestions in the city, let me know!
(secondhand mesh top, Erin Wasson for RVCA tank, Kate Moss for Topshop jeans, Aldo boots)
Man that’s quite the camera stare-down..I don’t think I was that angry. Maybe just sick of lurking in a tunnel with oddly tan-enhancing lighting. I think everything I’m wearing here is wardrobe favorite status..after some scattered online purchases I made today hopefully the pool will be expanding. I’m not sure why it is that I shop so much less at stores these days, but it’s gotten to the point where the UPS guy expressed shock today when delivering something for Colin instead of for me..after which he assured me that I still “have him beat by far”.
What I’ve learned:
- don’t just blindly Google..Shopstyle delivers results from everywhere that matters
- buy two sizes, return the unwanted
- learn to gage an item outside of the box ie. what will look good oversized, if a dress can be made more casual with a sloppy shirt worn over it..pretty soon you’ll be able to look at a piece and tell if it’s the length you want just on it’s proportions in the photo
- check often, as in before Topshop runs out of your size..again
- perhaps not specific to online shopping, but before you buy makeup, check Makeupalley‘s reviews..since I’d much rather spend money on shoes than lip gloss, I just do a quick scan for the highest percentage “would buy again” from a drug store brand I recognize and then trustingly purchase it..this works out pretty much always, to the point where I haven’t had to even try anything new in ages
- sporadically make a really frumpy/weird/pseudo-ugly purchase – these often end up being my favorites..speaking of which, the sweater in the last post is indeed vintage..sorry!
- Yoox is the designer shoe whore’s best friend..I get a lot of questions about my Chloe wedges and well, I owe it all to Yoox
- don’t knock the not-so-obvious stores..who knew that Bebe made, put on sale, and sold out of a pair of sandals that weirdly channel Balmain ss09..or that Bakers has a pretty amazing pair of studded boots reminiscent of..do I even have to say it? PS Hot Topic has some of the most amazing selection of skinnies for like a cent..paint splatter, leopard print, lace-up..
- eBay is the eternal hotbed of standout pieces, even/especially for things like 70s camera straps and tiny magnets (look up “neodynium magnets”) that will make your inspiration board that much better…randomness is key
- I don’t think I’m going to be penning any literature on how to dress in the boondocks anytime soon
- a few of you asked about these boots – the verdict is that they’re more comfortable than most flats and they run a half size large…personally, I’m in love
- I got the bandage dress at Forever 21 a couple months ago – freaking love the gold (functional!) snaps and cutout back
- it might be time for me to update the wardrobe with a few things..all of a sudden I feel like I don’t have anything to wear..maybe I sold it all? hmmmm..
- I think I miss Julian already
(Forever 21 sweater, secondhand silk shorts, H&M tights, LD Tuttle for Urbn boots)
Colin and I have been in Julian for the past couple days – he used to come here with his family to camp and wanted to show me the closest thing to a quaint countryside that we’ve got. It’s absolutely beautiful – a lot of things like golden light passing through leaves, vintage-y candy stores, what is apparently the best apple pie around, and even a post office that looks like a schoolhouse from the 1800s. I never really think to myself that I want to get away from the beach but it’s definitely a fun change. So far we’ve picked up chocolate covered espresso beans, marinated mushrooms, pistachios, blackberry honey sticks, and apple cider. I’m serious.
I randomly packed this sweater I got a couple years ago, which I’m pretty sure I used to wear as a dress (SO short??) – as you can see, the cowled section has a tendency to change its mind about how it lies every three seconds. Which is probably why I don’t wear it more often…I’m not into clothing that has to be constantly adjusted. Oh well. At least I’m saluting December with my festively red shorts.
(vintage sweater, Levi’s shorts, Forever 21 tights, Colin Stuart boots)
Wow it was actually sort of cold yesterday. I’ve never really found meshy tights like these to be warm whatsoever and I’m actually pretty sure they’re irrelevant to one’s overall body temperature. Iced vanilla soy latte…maybe not.
But more importantly, I’ve been hanging on to this PVC paneled sweater for a while now waiting for knits to feel more appropriate. Though Colin swears I stole it from Michael Jackson, I’m into it’s futuristic vibe and off center elbow patches, as hard as it is not to absentmindedly touch the shiny stuff from time to time. Nothing like a questionable sweater to mix up one’s winter wardrobe.